Molasses is one of our favourite sweet spreads, my 6 year old loves it on pancakes and I drizzle it over my peanut butter on toast. But our new favourite way to incorporate this iron and calcium rich food into our diet is through some vegan molasses cookies!
These cookies are crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy in the middle. They are made with wholewheat flour and brown sugar and spiced with cinnamon and allspice. A healthier cookie that doesn't lack in flavour, move over chocolate chip cookie, molasses is the new fav!
- 150g Olivani (or other dairy free spread)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 flax "egg" (1 TBs ground flax + 3 TBs water)
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 190C.
- Cream the Olivani and the sugar. Add the molasses and flax egg. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine. Cover and place bowl in fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll balls and slightly flatten with hands. Place on lined baking tray. Sprinkle with granulated sugar (optional)
- Bake until golden, 8 - 10 mins.