Banana bread is something I make at least once a week for my kids. Its a great way to use up soft, spotty bananas and it is quick and easy to make. Have it plain, or with lashings of Olivani or jam.
You can add chocolate chips to jazz it up, or nuts or even 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut. My original recipe called for egg, which I replaced with a flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water), it also called for white flour and white sugar which I of course replaced with wholewheat flour and brown sugar.
Recipe for Vegan Banana Bread:
- 3 spotty bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 TBs ground flaxseed + 3 TBs water)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted) or sunflower oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas until all lumps are gone. Add the sugar, flax and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the oil and combine.
- Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Line a loaf pan and pour into tin.
- Bake at in a preheated oven at 175C for around 40 mins, inserting a knife to make sure it comes out clean when done.