I have wanted to make some healthy breakfast muffins for a while now, that were oil and refined sugar free, and vegan of course, and today is the day I made it happen! As I type this I am waiting for them to cool and I just know they are going to be good.
I added lots of nuts, seeds and dried cranberries and they also have a good helping of coconut. So I am anticipating a really wholesome, filling and nutritious muffin that is great for an up and go breakfast, or for your 10 'o clock morning tea. I used wholewheat flour, however you should be able to substitute with your favourite gluten free flour.
Tahini is my oil/butter replacement which is very high in iron and calcium and a great way to get healthy fats into your diet. Sunflower seeds are very high in magnesium and selenium. Flaxseeds are also high in magnesium and a rich source of omega 3.
**edit** I just ate one, oh my goodness, so good! (ok I lie, I had 2! :)
Breakfast Muffins Recipe
- 1 TBs ground flaxseeds + 3 TBs water (this makes a flax egg)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 spotty ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 TBs whole flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 TBs chia seeds
- 1 TBs sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground flax and the water and mix well, allow to stand for 2-3 mins for the consistency to become gel-like.
- While the flax egg does its thing, mash your bananas. Then add to the large bowl.
- Add the tahini, vanilla extract, salt and maple syrup and mix well.
- Then add the flour, baking soda and bicarbonate of soda and mix well.
- Then add in the rest of your ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fill up your muffin liners 3/4 way full. (I used small cupcake liners and they made 13, so using bigger ones will make less.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until tops are starting to go golden brown. (baking time will vary depending on size of muffin liners)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.