To celebrate Matariki this year, we made some cute little star tarts, with a lemon blueberry filling. We used puff pastry however a shortcrust pastry would work too. Make sure to grease the pan well to prevent them from sticking to the muffin pan.
Ngā mihi o te Tau Hou Māori ki a koe, Happy Māori New Year to you!
Recipe for Lemon Blueberry Tarts
- puff or shortcrust pastry
- dairy-free spread/butter
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- juice of 1/2 a lemon, zest from 1
- 1 TBs cornflour
- 2 TBs icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C. Let the pastry defrost until room temp.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, icing sugar and cornflour and stir until combined.
- Grease a muffin tray well with your spread. Then using a round cutter, cut out circles of pastry and press inside the muffin tray.
- Cut out star shapes of pastry with a star cutter.
- Fill the pastry cups with the blueberry filling. Place the star shapes on a separate baking tray and place both the tarts and stars in the oven.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place stars on top of blueberry tarts and allow to cool before removing from the muffin tray.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Store in the fridge .