Yay for lemons in winter! Don't you just love how lemons can spruce up nearly any dish by adding some zing to it. Its such a fresh flavour and really perks up these healthy breakfast muffins.
Gluten free and refined white sugar free, vegan and packed with fibre! These muffins are made with oat flour, which you can totally make yourself (I did) just by whizzing up some regular dry rolled oats in a blender or food processor. Blitz it until it forms a flour consistency, then toss in the rest of the ingredients and wham bam thank you ma'am, you have an amazing lemon poppy seed batter - which may seem runny but trust me on this one, it thickens up like nobody's business. They don't rise as much as regular wheat flour muffins, so fill up your muffin liner to nearly the top (I only filled mine 3/4 way full and they kinda stayed there, and I like them to perch over the top, like a proper 'muffin-top'...)
The muffin itself is sugar free, however if you are wanting a bit of extra sweetness and prettiness, you can add the icing sugar drizzle. But leave off the drizzle if wanting totally sugar free.
Recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups rolled oats, whizzed into flour in a food processor or blender
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1TBs baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 flax egg (1TBs ground flax+3TBs water)
- 3/4 cup soy milk or other plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice or maple syrup
- 2 TBs lemon juice
- Optional lemon drizzle:
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tsps lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add the oat flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and lemon zest into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a smaller bowl.
- Then add the wet to the dry and mix to combine. The mixture will be runny but thats ok.
- Using your quarter cup, fill up your muffin liners in your muffin tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While muffins bake, make your lemon drizzle by whisking the 2 ingredients together.
- Once muffins have cooled, drizzle the lemon icing over them.